Functional Medicine and Cancer

This is where my passion lies.  I have had family member of each generation on both sides of my family touched by this disease.

My work has been to research the hype and give you the information that has clinical studies associated with it. While supplements and certain diets can be beneficial in the fight against cancer, others can be detrimental and actually make things worse . 

Between 80-90% of cancer patients are also currently or are planning to use complimentary therapies such as supplementation. Most of them feel that telling their oncologist will just lead to ridicule or them being told to stop taking anything. In some cases that may be the truth., but if you walk away with anything from this site, please let them know what you are doing and taking. This site will give you the knowledge and information to educate them on what and why you are taking these steps. Yes, I did say educate them. Many of these brilliant physicians do not have training in this area and need to be educated. Which you will have the tools to do.

When we realize that only 5% to 10% of all cancers are caused by inheritance of mutated genes and somatic mutations, the remaining 90% to 95% has been linked to lifestyle factors and environment. According to some studies, almost 30% of all cancers have been attributed to tobacco smoke, 35% to diet(2), 14% to 20% to obesity, 18% to infections(4), and 7% to radiation and environmental pollutants , it is apparent that lifestyle changes are the key to the prevention of 90% of cancers worldwide.  

While the American Cancer Society’s definition of cancer is a group of diseases characterized by uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells, I believe it is more the interaction between abnormal cells and its natural environment that results in uncontrolled cellular growth. Cancer is cancer only when it lives with the environment from which it arose.

 Functional medicine looks at cancer as a weed. While the main focus of treatment is the weed itself in Western medicine, Functional approaches the cancer from the soil it grows in to make it as inhospitable as possible to the growth and the spread of the weed through altering the cells, environment and communication pathways.

Core imbalances arise from environmental inputs such as diet, trauma, exercise, stress and can lead to:

1.       Hormonal and neurotransmitter imbalances

2.       Oxidation-reduction imbalances and mitochondropathy

3.       Detoxification and biotransformational imbalances

4.       Immune imbalances

5.       Inflammatory imbalances

6.       Digestive, absorptive, and microbiological imbalances

7.       Structural imbalances

The main goals for functional medicine treatments are to reduce side effects, enhance the efficacy of chemotherapy, radiation hormonal therapy and immunotherapies, target mechanisms of multi-drug resistance and radiation resistance and to alter the terrain of the patient to be non-supportive of tumor cells.

The following videos and links will explain the process that cancer has on each of these systems as well as conventional cancer therapies interactions with certain supplements and diets.